If you have had a leather jacket you know that the more you wear it the better it looks. Its charm is evident only after it turns into something like a second skin, because when new, leather is very stiff and rigid.
There is no better feeling than the buttery soft texture a leather jacket gets after regular use, and we all wait for the day we wear our jacket and finally feel it has become smooth to the touch.
This process may take years, depending on how much you use it, but now you don’t have to wait that long. Here we show you 5 steps to get your leather jacket looking its best in weeks/months instead of years.
You will need: leather conditioner, a microfiber cloth, and a blow dryer.
1. Since your jacket is made of skin, you have to treat it like you treat your skin. Just as you apply body lotion to your skin every day, your jacket also needs moisturizing.
Take the microfiber cloth and rub it with firm strokes on your jacket with some leather conditioner. This conditioner is specially formulated to moisturize, protect, and soften the leather.
2. After the conditioner is well rubbed on the jacket, wrinkle the garment with your hands; press the leather from top to bottom to make sure the conditioner gets into every corner of the skin.
3. Next, repeat steps 1 and 2. Apply another coat of leather conditioner, and then wrinkle the jacket.
4. Put the blow dryer on medium heat¾the temperature is very important, the air can’t be too hot or too cold¾, and warm the jacket with it to seal the conditioner inside the skin. The dryer has to be at least 6 inches away from the garment, and never stop moving it around.
5. Take a clean microfiber cloth and rub it well against your jacket to make it shine.
You will immediately see a change in your jacket’s texture after the first time you follow this process, repeat it regularly until your jacket reaches your desired feel.